Mold is a moisture-loving fungus ... a dangerous invader that can not only cause illness, but also exacerbate pre-existing medical conditions such as asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Mold spores can be found in damp areas of a home, even if it is unoccupied, such a the kitchen, bathrooms and the basement. No family wants to purchase a home that is a breeding ground for mould. Stay vigilant and at the first sign of mould, attack!
Vacuum on a regular basis. This will help eliminate any mould spores hiding in carpeting and rugs.
Clean the bathroom, kitchen, attic and anywhere else there may be any collection of moisture. Mold needs moisture to multiply, so cutting off all sources of water will keep the mould from propagating. Repair any leaks in the flooring, walls and ceiling that may be allowing water into the home.
Clean out any leaf and stick debris that may be in the outdoor gutters. An abundance of rotting material in the gutters can cause water to back up onto the roof, which could cause water to enter the home.
Clear out any gardens or flower beds that are close to the home. Watering these areas when they are filled with debris will hold excess moisture and could cause liquid to enter the basement, especially if the foundation is not properly graded.
Keep the vents in the home open if any cleaning or other activities are being performed that require the use of water. If there are no vents, open the windows or prop open the doors until everything is completely dry.
Keep any humidifier that may be running in the home on low. Any excess humidity in the home can lead to mould.
Place a dehumidifier in the basement, if the home has one. The basement is the coldest room in the house, and the change in temperature between the basement and the upper floors can cause moisture to form on the floor and walls.
Clean up immediately after a flood or if a pipe breaks.
Keep the attic properly ventilated during the winter months.