How to recoat oak flooring without sanding the floor
Hardwood floors add classic beauty and clean lines to any household. Even better, the maintenance of hardwood floors is easier than carpeting; they are easier to clean and don't need to be replaced as often. They can, however, get scratched and damaged with rough treatment. Sanding the floors gets messy and expensive.
To reseal your oak flooring, consider using a chemical sanding process, which recoats the floor without any sanding requirements.
Clean the floor before you start to ensure ideal refinishing results. Vacuum your oak flooring to remove any dirt or dust, then mop the floor with a cleaning mixture of soap and water. Rinse the floor by mopping it again with clean water and dry the floor with the towels.
- Hardwood floors add classic beauty and clean lines to any household.
- Vacuum your oak flooring to remove any dirt or dust, then mop the floor with a cleaning mixture of soap and water.
Use the deglosser to prepare your oak flooring. This step is a chemical equivalent to sanding. Use a lamb's wool applicator attached to a pole to spread the deglosser evenly over your oak floor. Allow 30 minutes of drying time for the deglosser to do its job.
Apply a new base coat to the floor using a fresh lambs wool applicator attached to the pole. The base coat gives the finish something to bond to, and will keep it from lifting up. Apply an even layer across the entire floor, as though you're mopping with water. Allow 30 minutes of drying time.
- Use the deglosser to prepare your oak flooring.
- Use a lamb's wool applicator attached to a pole to spread the deglosser evenly over your oak floor.
Spray the catalyst into the can of finish/top coat to activate the top coat. Pour a small amount of top coat in one corner of the room and use a fresh applicator to spread it evenly, moving with the grain of the wood. Do not worry about streaks, as they will clear as the finish dries. Repeat this process until the entire floor is done, renewing your top coat supply as necessary. Allow 24 hours of drying time before you use the room again.
- Once you combine the catalyst with the top coat, the top coat become slightly sticky. If you don't use it, it will become hard in the bucket.