How to Make Essential Cinnamon Oil
Fragrant essential oils can be made from spices and herbs. Cinnamon sticks can be used to make essential cinnamon oil. Essential oils can be made by various processes such as distillation, which makes a very concentrated cinnamon oil.
Use the cinnamon leaves rather than the cinnamon sticks, as that process can create a highly concentrated essential oil that might be toxic in some situations.
Purchase a glass jar filled with cinnamon sticks. When buying cinnamon sticks they often come packaged in a glass jar. If you purchase cinnamon sticks this way, you can use the jar, along with the sticks to make your essential cinnamon oil.
- Fragrant essential oils can be made from spices and herbs.
- Essential oils can be made by various processes such as distillation, which makes a very concentrated cinnamon oil.
Pour olive oil into the glass jar of cinnamon sticks, until they are covered. Tightly secure the lid on the jar.
Set the jar of oil and cinnamon sticks in a sunny window and leave it there for two weeks. Shake the jar daily to help the process along.
Filter the olive oil by removing and discarding the cinnamon sticks and straining the oil.
Return the oil to a clean glass container with a lid and store in a cool, dark location.
- Always use sanitised glass jars and lids.
- If you already have cinnamon sticks, but are unable to use the container they came in, find a glass jar with a lid. Since you'll pack the jar with cinnamon sticks, choose a jar size according to the number of cinnamon sticks you will be using.
- According to Hoskins, some cinnamon essential oils have a potential for toxicity and should not be ingested.
Ann Johnson has been a freelance writer since 1995. She previously served as the editor of a community magazine in Southern California and was also an active real-estate agent, specializing in commercial and residential properties. She has a Bachelor of Arts in communications from California State University, Fullerton.