Poisoning by natural gas can wreak havoc on the health of children. If you have a gas leak in your home, your family may begin experiencing a variety of symptoms. Many people don't realise what is causing their symptoms. If you suspect that your child's illnesses may be caused by a gas leak, call your gas company and have them check your home.
Natural gas poisoning can cause gastrointestinal problems, mental fogginess, allergies, fatigue, headaches, sick pets, depression, high blood cell counts, the skin condition eczema and forgetfulness.
Exposure to chlorine gas can make your child sick. When swimming pool chemicals are used improperly, this can cause throat, eye and nose irritation. Chlorine gas can be smelled.
If your child is exposed to high levels of chlorine gas, this will cause coughing, a change in breathing rate and damage to the lungs. Some individuals develop RADS or reactive airways dysfunction syndrome, which is a type of asthma that is result of being exposed to corrosive or irritating substances.
Asphyxia can occur if the oxygen level in your home is drastically reduced. Loss of consciousness and death can be the outcome.
Carbon monoxide gas is considered the silent killer, because you can't smell it. This can be fatal to your children and to yourself. Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Gas leaks can occur from natural gas piping systems, water heaters, heating systems and gas appliances.