Making crafts with and for kids can help them become more artistically aware and creative. It gives the kids a chance to use their imaginations and open their minds. Using materials that you already have is ideal for making crafts with kids because these crafts often don't last very long. Using something inexpensive, like drinking straws, can make the activity fun but leave less of a dent in your wallet.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Drinking straws
- Paper clips
- Coloured construction paper
- Super glue
Cross two drinking straws in the shape of an "x." Glue them together.
Make four paper clip chains. These chains should vary in length. Place one paper clip chain on each end of the drinking straws and glue them into place.
Draw four different shapes on the coloured construction paper using the stencils or marker. Be creative as you draw letters, animals, shapes and numbers to cut out and put on the mobile.
Cut out the drawings with scissors.
Put the cutouts into the ends of the last paper clips on the mobile. Hang as desired.
Drinking Straw Mobile
Trace the child's hand on a piece of construction paper. Use a bright colour such as yellow, purple or orange. Cut out the handprint.
Draw leaves on a green piece of paper. Cut out the leaves.
Wrap the cutout handprint around a pencil and fold out the fingers. This should begin a cone shape for the flower.
Remove the handprint from the pencil and form the handprint into a cone around the end of a straw. Tape the cone into place. Tape the leaves on the side of the straw.
Place the handprint lily into a vase or put on display.
The Handprint Lily
Tips and warnings
- For another option, assign each child a specific job and then bring all of the steps together. For example, one child can be responsible for drawing out the stencils, one child can cut out the stencils and another can make the paper clip chains. If you want to change the colour of the stem in the handprint lily craft, wrap a piece of construction paper around the straw and cut it to size. Tape the paper to the straw.
- Do not let children use the super glue. Children using scissors should also be supervised by an adult.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for