The main purpose of the arms in a golf swing is to keep a solid connection to your big muscles to generate stability and power. Find out what the arms do in a golf swing with help from a professional golf instructor in this free video on golf swings.
Hello, my name is Conan Elliott and I'm Director of Instruction here at Camas Meadows Golf Club in Camas, Washington. Today we're going to talk about what the arms should do in a golf swing. Well first of all, the arms have to hang, have to hold our hands out in front of us, don't they; so that we can hang onto the golf club. So, my arms literally hang from my shoulders out in front of my golf swing. It's, a lot of times, it's easier to talk about what they should not do. What they should not do is lift and swing; lift and swing. What they should do is keep me connected to my big muscles which runs the golf swing. So, my arms need to stay connected right here at the, kind of in the pack area. Some people will even tighten that pack up a little bit to keep it in there. As I turn, my arms just follow my chest. They don't create the backswing. They follow my chest. As my chest turns, my left arm needs to swing up across my body; not around my body. So, my arm just; as I turn, my arms stay connected and work up. From this point on, it's basically big muscles; my arms just literally stay connected and work. I know of a lot of people play golf arm-sy. But what we really want to do is keep our arms quiet; kind of like ropes. Here's the motor; I've got ropes out here. I turn to the right, my arms follow; I turn to the left, my arms follow; rather than my arms do the motion. So, my arms are followers in the golf swing, connected to the big muscles. This is Conan Elliott and that's how the arms should do in the golf swing.
- How to Hit Golf Ball With a Draw
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Lower
- How to Hit a Golf Ball With Irons
- How to Hit Down on a Golf Ball
- How to Hit a Fade in Golf
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Higher
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight Every Time
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Farther
- How to Turn the Right Shoulder Correctly Out of the Way During the Golf Back Swing
- How to Repeat a Good Golf Swing
- How to Improve My Golf Swing
- How to Keep Knees Flexed in the Golf Swing
- What Should the Arms Do in a Golf Swing?
- Basics of a Golf Swing
- Golf Swing Problems
- How to Create Lag in a Golf Swing
- Slowing a Golf Back Swing
- How to Increase Swing Speed in Golf
- How to Perform a One-Piece Takeaway Golf Swing
- How to Stop Blocking Shots in a Golf Swing