Signs of burning around an electrical plug or outlet

Written by cindy roussos
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Signs of burning around an electrical plug or outlet
Always make certain to visually inspect wall outlets before use. (Light Switch and Outlet image by Towards Ithaca from

Each year, emergency room doctors treat 4,000 individuals for electrical outlet-associated injuries. When it comes to electrical fires and the injuries that they can cause, prevention is key. Individuals need to regularly check electrical sockets and plugs for telltale signs of fire or wiring issues. Any faulty plugs (such as plugs with exposed wires) should be replaced immediately.

Other People Are Reading

Discolouration of Wall Outlets

If the wall outlet appears discoloured, this is a major warning sign. According to the National Fire Protection Association, a discoloured wall outlet can be caused by "arcing, smouldering, burning happening behind your outlets, damaged or improperly installed wiring in the outlet or a problem with the receptacle itself." If you see a discoloured outlet, you should never attempt to use this outlet. Instead, find a qualified electrician and have him examine the outlet.

Signs of burning around an electrical plug or outlet
Take note of warning signs around electrical sockets and prevent fires. (fire & rescue image by Jim Parkin from

Tingling Sensation

If you plug up an electrical device (such as a toaster) and you then experience a tingling sensation when you touch that appliance, this sensation could be an indication of electrical trouble. Some people refer to this sensation as getting a "shock" from an appliance, consider it a warning sign and do not wait for a more serious injury. Consult a licensed electrician to investigate the problem.

Acrid Odor

Sometimes you cannot see the signs of a problem with an electrical plug or outlet; instead, you will be able to smell, feel or hear the issue. If you smell an acrid odour near an electrical plug, then it is an indication that a serious problem could be occurring. In addition, if you touch an outlet and it feels hot (due to possible overheating), this is also a warning sign of electrical trouble. Finally, the sound of sizzling or popping near an electrical socket should also be considered a cause for concern. Contact a licensed electrician to investigate the matter.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.