Agricultural building grants

Updated December 15, 2016

Agricultural building grants can take several forms. Several programs sponsor grants to finance building construction and renovation projects performed strictly for agricultural purposes. Grants can be used to build or repair irrigation systems as well as facilities and housing units that are to be used by farm workers. Like most grants, these agricultural grants do not have to be repaid by the recipients. Grant programs may require recipients to match a percentage of the award amount with funds from other sources.

Community Facilities Grant Program

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) funds community facilities grants that pay for construction and renovation projects in communities with fewer than 20,000 residents. These grants can be used to build and repair facilities such as agricultural fairgrounds and animal shelters and other structures that are used for community and public services. Funds can also be used to purchase equipment needed to operate these facilities. These grants are formula based: Communities with the lowest income and population levels receive higher amounts of financial assistance. Municipalities, counties and tribal government agencies and non-profit organisations can apply for these grants.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Room 5014 South Building

14th St. and Independence Ave. SW

Washington, DC 20250


Farm Labor Housing Loans and Grants

The Department of Agriculture also sponsors the Farm Labor Housing Loans and Grant program. This program provides financial assistance for the renovation of housing units that are occupied by year-long and seasonal farm labourers. Grants can also be used to construct facilities such as laundromats, day-care centres and dining areas. Public and private non-profit organisations, non-profit corporations for workers, and state and tribal government agencies can apply for these grants. Only farm labourers who make a substantial amount of their income from farming and are U.S. citizens are eligible to live in the housing units. Recipients must match at least 10 per cent of the grant amount with funds from outside sources.


Rural Development

Preservation and Direct Loan Division

1400 Independence Ave. SW

Washington, District of Columbia 20250–0781


Agricultural Management Assistance

The USDA sponsors the Agricultural Management Assistance program, which provides grants to improve water quality and management systems that benefits farm production. Grants can be used to construct and renovate water management and irrigation structures and plant trees for wind breaks. Funds can also be used to implement conservation practices to mitigate soil erosion and pest problems. Applicants must have ownership of the land for more than one year in the following 16 states: Maine, Hawaii, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Wyoming, West Virginia, Utah, Massachusetts, Maryland and Nevada. The grant program requires recipients to match at least 25 per cent of the financial award with outside funds.

Dave Mason

Financial Assistance Programs Division

Natural Resources Conservation Service

Department of Agriculture

P.O. Box 2890

Washington, District of Columbia 20113


Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author