What Tools Do I Need for Plastering?

Written by rob mead
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
What Tools Do I Need for Plastering?
Tools used in plastering include metal flat blades and putty knives. (construction worker image by Greg Pickens from Fotolia.com)

In order to repair a home or office building's interior walls, it may be necessary to plaster over holes, cracks and other breaks that can occur from time to time. Newly constructed homes will also need to be plastered after holes are put in the walls for electrical wiring and other construction work. Plastering tools such as putty knives and painter flat blades are very useful in completing the chore of plastering walls and other sections of a home.

Razor blade scraper

Designed to scrape up dirt and other debris from a wall area before and after the plastering process has begun, the razor blade scraper averages a total length of 3 and a half inches. This tool features a single-edged blade made out of a hardened, tempered steel. The razor blade scraper itself is constructed out of metal and includes a flat surface handle that the user grips while bringing the blade down into the wall's surface, effectively cutting into the wall and eradicating the old paint and dirt from the area.

Putty knife

Used in the plastering process after the plastering material has been added to the wall's surface, the putty knife allows the user to smooth out the plaster material so that no significant bumps are present. Averaging just over four and a half inches in total length, this important plastering tool contains a 1-and-a-half inch flat blade made out of tempered steel that the user places over the now-drying plastering material to smooth the surface while also thinning out thicker sections of the plaster as needed.

Joint knife

Used primarily to add liquid plastering materials to a wall's surface in order to cover up holes, cracks and other eyesores, the joint knife contains a 6-inch wide, flat blade made out of steel. Outfitted with a 3-inch hard nylon handle, the joint knife is designed to allow the construction worker to easily dip the blade into a bucket containing the liquid plastering material and remove enough of the material to begin plastering up large sections of the wall with ease.

Mud pan

In order to hold the liquid plastering material in the construction area without spilling the material while dipping the joint knife into the liquid, it is necessary to use a mud pan. Constructed out of stainless steel, the mud pan includes an overall height of just over 3 inches and features a 12-inch pan area that retains plastering material like liquid joint compound and drywall mud for easy access.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.