Fungal growths can show up anywhere around your home, from mildew in the bathroom to mould and moss growing on bricks in walls, patios or roofs. Just like you need to remove mildew from shower tile, you also need to clean moss and mould from bricks.
Moss and Mold
Moss and mould are different types of fungal growths. Moss is usually green with a soft, springy appearance. Mold comes in many colours, including green, brown and black. Both thrive in moist climates, especially in areas that experience lots of cloud cover. Moss and mould spores are blown by the wind onto bricks and grow on dirt and other organic material caught in the crannies and crevices on the brick's surface.
Mold and moss won't harm bricks on their own. If they grow on a brick patio, they can be a slip hazard for anyone walking across the patio. Both become slick when rained on because they absorb the water and retain it. Moss can damage bricks indirectly by harbouring seeds from other plants. As the seeds grow, they send out roots looking for soil. Over time, these roots can damage a wall or patio by shifting bricks.
Removing moss and mould from bricks when they are growing in just small patches is easiest. Use a broom to scrape either of them away. If you are dealing with a larger patch, purchase removal products at home improvement stores or nurseries. If you choose copper sulphate, mix 14.8ml. with 10 gallons of water. Spray the mixture onto the mould or moss, and let it sit for 20 minutes; then spray the fungus away with your garden hose. To use zinc chloride, combine one part zinc chloride with nine parts water, and apply it like the copper sulphate.
If you don't change anything about your home, the mould or moss will return. You can stay vigilant and brush the fungus away as soon as it returns, or you can take steps to prevent it from growing in the first place. Expose the bricks to more sunlight, which inhibits fungal growth. Removing overhanging branches will help as will taking an umbrella off a patio. Install copper or zinc strips on a copper roof. When exposed to water, ions leach out of the strips and form a protective coating on the bricks that prevents mould and moss from growing.