Animals in the Nigerian Forest

Written by ellie gambrel
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Animals in the Nigerian Forest
Genets can be found in Nigerian forests. (Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images)

Nigeria is home to some of Africa's most lush rainforests and are home to several endangered animal species. Over 90 per cent of the tropical rainforests that once covered Nigeria have been lost due to logging and clearance for farmland; of the remaining 10 per cent, half are in Cross River State, which is the only place that many of Nigeria's endangered animals are found. Biodiversity is low in the Cross-Niger transition forest, where fire, hunting and deforestation have reduced the forest habitat available to animals.

Other People Are Reading

Mammals

Mammals endemic to Nigerian forests include the Sclater's and white-throated guenons and the Benin and crested genets. The endangered forest elephant, the drill monkey and the red-capped mangabey also live in Nigerian forests, along with chimpanzees and gorillas. Mammal species in the Cross-River transition forest have been depleted to the point that bats are now a part of Nigerian locals' diets. Most of the native mammals that still exist in Nigerian forests tend toward riverine forest environments, but are threatened there by hunting and logging.

Birds

Nigeria is home to more than 900 species of birds. Several unique bird species including the Jos Plateau indigo bird, the rock firefinch and the Ibadan malimbe live in Nigerian forests. The Anambra waxbill is near-endemic to the Cross-Niger transition forest. Some of the birds found in Nigeria's forests come from paleoarctic regions just to breed in the country. Sanctuaries and conservation foundations, including forest reserves, work to protect birds in Nigeria from threats such as habitat loss.

Reptile and Amphibians

Dunger's file snake, Cross's beaked snake and the Nigeria crag gecko are all endemic to Nigeria, as are a species of worm snake and a species of worm lizard. The crested chameleon, another endemic species, can be found in the Cross-Niger transition forest area. The Nigerian or Petter's toad and the Danko puddle frog are also endemic to Nigeria.

Threats

Threats to the animals of Nigeria's forests tend to be related to human activities. The human population in Nigeria is high and as a result a great deal of forest habitat has been cleared for farming and logging. Many Nigerian animals are hunted for food and can sell for as much as two weeks' worth of pay. Even game reserves are being progressively converted to farmland and tree plantations; the Gili-Gili Game Reserve has been so extensively deforested that it can no longer support populations of larger mammals.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.