Is it dangerous to eat mouldy yoghurt?

Written by scott levin
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Is it dangerous to eat mouldy yoghurt?
Make sure your yoghurt is mould-free before tucking in. (Anna Chelnokova/iStock/Getty Images)

You peel back the lid on your yoghurt pot to find a layer of mould resting on top. Unfortunately, the yoghurt's next destination should be the rubbish bin. Because of harmful bacteria that may be living throughout the product, your best move health-wise is to throw out the mouldy yoghurt.

Other People Are Reading

Mouldy yoghurt

Even in refrigerated areas, moist foods like yoghurt can develop mould. Simply scraping off the mould doesn't solve the problem. In hard cheeses, mould and bacteria often do not penetrate inside the cheese, allowing you to trim off the mouldy area. But with a soft food like yoghurt, mould and bacteria can accumulate throughout the product. Not all the harmful bacteria will be visible.

Health problems

Apart from ruining the taste for yoghurt, mould can cause health problems if ingested. Certain moulds may lead to allergic reactions or respiratory complications. Other moulds may lead to the creation of poisonous mycotoxins. These substances can lead to an upset stomach and make you sick.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.