DIY: Repairing Cracked Renders

Written by mike johnson
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
DIY: Repairing Cracked Renders
"Rendering" over stone or brick mimics the look of drywall. (Brand X Pictures/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images)

Rendering, or renders, is a type of surface that is applied to a stone or brick wall to make it look more like drywall. This plaster material is generally sturdy, but that does not mean it won't suffer from the occasional crack. When this happens, you can improve the appearance of the crack by filling it in with rendering filler; however, it's unlikely the crack will ever be completely invisible.

Skill level:

Things you need

  • Filling knife
  • Wire brush
  • Sponge
  • Water
  • Rendering filler

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Insert a filling knife into the crack. Move the knife back and forth until the crack becomes a "V". You want the wider portion of the V to be inside the rendering.

  2. 2

    Use a small wire brush to remove any debris from inside the newly formed crack.

  3. 3

    Wet a sponge and run it over the crack. Moisture will help the filler stick.

  4. 4

    Push rendering filler into the V-shaped cracks using your filling knife. Make sure you push the filler all the way into the crack so that it gets into the bottom of the V.

  5. 5

    Scrape the filling knife across the surface when you're finished so that the filler will dry evenly.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.