Some people are willing to spend thousands of dollars to have the latest and greatest in backyard barbecue and grilling systems, while others are satisfied with a more simple life. Great food can be turned out on a primitive, homemade grill that costs a few dollars, assembles in two minutes and is quickly taken apart to be used again at another time. You can resize the grill to feed a few people or a whole crowd.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 12 hollow block cement construction blocks for barbecue pit
- 18 hollow block cement construction blocks for grill
- Cooking grate
Stack the blocks, hollow side up on even ground; two blocks high and two blocks long to make a left wall.
Stack blocks similar to this to make a back and right side wall. You should have a "U" shaped enclosure with the opening toward you.
Place the ready charcoal or wood no higher than the top of the bottom blocks. The heat will moderate by the time it reaches the grill, allowing for a long cooking period.
Place a heavy-duty cooking grate on top of the open pit. A grate from another barbecue pit works fine, or use an unpainted and cleaned cast iron sidewalk grate.
Barbecue Pit for Slow Roasting of Ribs, Shoulder Butts and Small Briskets
Construct the pit the same as for the barbecue pit.
Lay the extra blocks down inside the interior of the pit and on the ground to form a higher base for the heat source.
Place the ready charcoal or wood on the concrete block lining and no higher than almost to the top of the top blocks.This raises the heat closer to the grate and cooks the food much faster and at a higher temperature.
Place a heavy duty cooking grate on top of the open pit.
Grilling Pit for Steaks, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and ther Quick-GrillingFood
Tips and warnings
- Construct two pits side by side, sharing the same inner wall. One side slowly cooks meats while the other side quickly cooks food.
- You can add an inch of sand on the ground as an option before laying the charcoal down.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for