Double-paned glass helps insulate a room and keeps excess noise from penetrating the window. Condensation is water vapour that can sometimes form on the inside of double-paned glass. This happens when there is a small crack in the glass or in between the seals on the window allowing water vapour to get trapped between the glass panes. When the condensation forms, it can block your view through the glass. Condensation often occurs on old windows that need to be replaced. There are methods to rid the windows of condensation, but if these methods don't work, it may be time to replace the window.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clothes dryer
Turn exhaust fans on in your bathroom or kitchen during and after showers or boiling water. These will help draw the water vapour outside the home. Condensation occurs in windows when a home has a high humidity levels.
Dry clothes in a dryer rather than hanging them around the home. Drying clothes inside will increase the water content in your home's air and encourage condensation.
Lower your home's temperature. When hot air comes into contact with cold windows, it immediately loses heat and will deposit condensation on the windows. This can eventually move in between the window panes.
Point a fan at the condensation on the windows. The fan will work to evaporate the condensation and remove it.
Install a dehumidifier in your home to lower the home's humidity and remove condensation.
Tips and warnings
- Contact a professional to replace the window if you are not able to remove the condensation yourself. It is likely the window is old and has too many cracks and areas where the seals are broken to be able to repair effectively.
- Ironically, condensation is more common in new homes, which are better sealed than old homes. Old homes often have small cracks in the ceiling, roof, walls and basement through which water vapour will eventually escape. Water vapour cannot leave a new homes that is well sealed. Because the air in a home can only hold so much water, condensation will occur.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for