Wave Runners are a type of personal watercraft made by Yamaha Motor Company. They have an inboard engine and range in length between 10-1/2 feet and 13 feet depending on the model. The hull of the Wave Runner is made of a fibreglass mould. Riders can sit on a seat or stand on a platform set into the hull of the craft. One to two people can comfortably ride in a Wave Runner. The manufacturer recommends that all operators and riders wear personal flotation devices.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Permanent marker
- Safety glasses
- Dremel tool
- Shop towel
- Marine-grade epoxy adhesive
- Gel coat
- Car buffer
- Buffing pads
- Car polish
Examine the entire hull of the Wave Runner. Circle any cracks or holes in the hull with a permanent marker.
Put on your safety glasses and plug in the grinder. Grind the cracks and holes in each of the marked areas. The hull should be ground until you reach the fibreglass layer. The fibreglass will resemble a tightly spun spider web or woven fabric.
Attach a cutting tip to the Dremel tool. Cut out any damaged fibreglass and around the edges of any hole.
Smooth the edges of the holes, the cut area and the surface of the ground area.
Pour a small amount of acetone on a shop towel. Clean the area surrounding each hole. Allow the acetone to dry.
Cut a piece of fibreglass, using a pair of scissors, that will fit over each of the holes. Spread a thin layer of marine-grade epoxy adhesive around the edges of each hole. Hold the fibreglass repair patch in place over the hole. Spread a second thin layer of epoxy adhesive over the surface and edges of the patches.
Coat all of the holes and cracks with a thin layer of gel coat. Allow the gel to dry. Continue adding more layers of gel until the ground and sanded area is even with the rest of the hull.
Sand the gel coat smooth with sandpaper.
Pour a small amount of polish on a buffing pad. Buff the hull of the Wave Runner until all surfaces are smooth.
Tips and warnings
- The hull of the Wave Runner can be repainted for aesthetic reasons. Contact the manufacturer to order the paint and paint the hull before the polishing and buffing process to ensure a uniform appearance.
- Fibreglass can irritate breathing passages and skin. Avoid breathing the dust created by the grinding; wear trousers and long sleeves to reduce any contact with your skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for