Fondant icing can finish cakes with an elegant, smooth look but can be difficult to accommodate messages on the surface of the cake. Piping royal icing on fondant icing does not work, as it is sensitive to the oils and moisture from the fondant. Finishing a beautiful cake without a personal message can be disappointing. With a little patience and a few cake decorating supplies, you can professionally write your message on fondant icing.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Small, clean paintbrush
- Food colouring
- Paper towels
- Edible food pens
- Piping bag
- Round piping tip
- Buttercream icing
Apply the fondant to the cake and let it dry overnight. The moisture in the cake will make it extremely difficult to write on.
Dip a small paintbrush into food colouring. Dab the excess onto the paper towel.
Lightly write your message onto the fondant icing. Reload your brush often so the message is vibrant and not faint or light.
Buy edible food pens or markers in coordinating colours.
Uncap the pen and test it on a paper towel. Stop once the edible ink starts flowing.
Write your message on the fondant icing. Do not press too hard or the ink will spot and run.
Lightly wipe the tip of the pen periodically. The tip can get filmy and wiping will keep the words clean and even.
Edible food pens
Place a round piping tip on a piping bag.
Fill the bag with buttercream icing.
Pipe the message onto the fondant.
Tips and warnings
- Practice neatly piping your message with buttercream icing on waxed paper before piping on the cake.
- Use an uncooked piece of spaghetti as a guide for straight writing. Lightly press a strand of pasta into the fondant as a guide for your letters.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for