Roma Plastilina is a versatile modelling clay. It comes in four different consistencies -- from soft to extra hard. Roma Plastilina is a non-hardening clay, making it much easier to sculpt for beginners and experts alike. If you make a mistake, you can easily fix it without worrying about the clay drying out. To properly use Roma Platilina clay, you must go through several steps before you even touch the clay. The overall experience can be mildly challenging for novices despite the forgiving nature of the clay.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Roma Plastilina clay
- Fine wire mesh
- Galvanised wire
- Sculpting tools
Create your armature using the wire and mesh. The armature is the frame that holds the clay. For some projects that are flat, you won't need an armature. If you are sculpting something that is three dimensional (like a dinosaur, for example), you will need a frame.
Drill the armature into the base. If desired, you can also add a coat of epoxy to help the armature stick to the base better.
Cut off a piece of the clay from the block. The clay comes in 0.907kg bricks. Carefully roll the clay in your palms to warm it up and make it more pliable.
Choose a spot to begin working and spread the clay over the area. Don't spread it too thin or your frame will show through. Smooth it out using your sculpting tools.
Repeat Step 3 until the entire armature is covered.
Use your tools to create detail, if necessary. For example, if you are sculpting a dinosaur, create texture on the skin to represent its rough, lizard-like skin. Skip this step if you do not wish to add texture.
Add details such as eyes, teeth and accessories. Though you could simply sculpt eyes and teeth (if you are sculpting an animal), many sculptors use glass or ceramic pieces. Press them into the clay carefully, then scrape away any clay that got pushed out of the way. Smooth the surface to make it look seamless.
Tips and warnings
- The steps for creating armature vary wildly depending on what you want to sculpt. A website like Paint-Sculpt.com will be able to guide you on the specifics of making an armature.
- Armature is generally needed because Roma Plastilina is NOT baked in an oven like conventional clay. Since it does not bake or harden, the frame is required so that it won't eventually droop or fall apart altogether.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for