Painting over old glazed ceramics can save you money and add a personal touch. An outdated bathroom with unattractive ceramic tiled walls or floor tile can cost a lot to remodel. If you only want to change the colour of the glazed ceramic tiles, you can do this yourself by painting over them. Glazed ceramic lamps, vases and other objects can also be repainted and sealed to look new by using the appropriate paint and protective sealer.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Strong detergent or oxygen bleach
- Cleaning brush
- Large spray bottle
- Oil-based paint or water-based with urethane resin
- Several paint brushes
- Painting cloth or plastic
Pour water and oxygen bleach in a spray bottle according to the instructions on the product. Shake the bottle until the powder mixes with the water. Spray the solution on the glazed ceramic. Allow the solution to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Spray more of the solution on the ceramic and use your cleaning brush to vigorously scrub the glazed ceramic piece. Rinse the ceramic with water and allow it to dry.
Place cloth or plastic underneath the glazed ceramic to catch paint spills.
Paint the ceramic piece. Because the glaze is smooth and slippery, use a tacky paint that will stick to the surface of the ceramic. Oil-based and water-based paints with urethane are sticky enough to adhere to the glazed ceramic. Dip a paint brush into the paint. Apply even coats to the ceramic. If the glazed ceramic piece is large or a tiled wall, you can use a paint roller.
Finish the ceramic piece. Cure the paint for two to three days. Apply a coat of urethane to protect the paint. Let it dry completely overnight.
Tips and warnings
- If you paint glazed ceramic that is in contact with a lot of water, the paint can peel off. For areas where water is often used, you may want to hire a professional.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for