Blurry windshield glass can make you feel like you're driving through haze, even in crystal clear driving conditions. Road grime or deposits from other vehicles build up on windshields and cause problems if you don't remove them. The dirt on your windshield isn't just dirt; it can contain salt, tar, sap, oil and other automotive fluids. This layer of film is a safety hazard during inclement weather, when a few drops of rain will transform the mix into toxic sludge. Make an effort to stay safe by cleaning your windshield and other auto glass at least once a month.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Degrease cleaner
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Dish detergent
- Microfiber towels
- Automotive glass wax
Spray the outside of the windshield and windows with a degreasing detergent and water. Automotive glass is exposed to oily and sticky contaminants that glass cleaners may have a hard time penetrating. Scrub the glass with a soft cloth to form a rich later. Wash your car and rinse it with clean water.
Fill a spray bottle 1/3 full with white vinegar. Fill the remaining 2/3 with distilled water. Tap water may contain chemicals that cause glass to streak. Add a cap full of dish detergent or Ph-neutral cleanser. Shake the bottle of homemade glass cleaner to mix ingredients.
Spray the glass cleaner on the windshield and wipe it clean with newsprint. Wipe from the top of the windshield to the bottom in long strokes. Work on the outside glass and move to the inside, working on one window at a time. Newspaper has a polishing effect on glass and mirrored surfaces.
Mist an automotive glass wax -- such as those made by RainX, Aquapel or Glass Science -- on the outside of your windows. Buff the wax across the windshield in a circular motion. Glass wax allows rain to bead up and flow off a windshield in rivulets. Apply this product to lights and exterior mirrors for improved visibility during storms.
Dry buff the glass with a microfiber towel. These towels are lint free and won't scratch the surface of automotive glass.
Tips and warnings
- Clean your windshield in a shaded area to prevent the glass cleaner from streaking.
- Detail your interior glass last to avoid contamination from the mist of other cleaning products.
- Some glass cleaners contain ammonia that dries out interior surfaces and releases dangerous fumes when heated.
- Ammonia based glass cleaner shouldn't be used on aftermarket window tint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for