Tinctures are liquid extracts made from herbs. They are usually extracted in alcohol, but they can also be extracted in vegetable glycerine or apple cider vinegar. Tincture of benzoin is typically used as a preservative for other essential oils.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Kitchen scissors or knife
- Mortar and pestle
- 80 to 100 proof vodka or grain alcohol.
- Wide-mouthed glass jar with lid
- Unbleached cheesecloth
- Coffee filter
- Dark coloured bottle or spray bottle
- Labels and markers.
Use the purest or freshest benzoin herb available to make the best tinctures. Look for pesticide free or organically grown herbs. Dry fresh gathered herbs for one to two weeks. This can be done by tying a bundle of herbs with twine and hanging it upside-down in a cool dry place.
Cut the dried benzoin for the tincture and place them into the mortar and pestle. Grind by hand into a course powder. Pour contents into a glass jar.
Pour the alcohol slowly over the herb, until it is completely covered and the herb is floating in the alcohol. Seal the jar tightly to prevent evaporation or leaking. Label the bottle with the name, benzoin, and date.
Place the jar in a dark area or cupboard. Shake the contents of the jar every day, to prevent settling or clumping. Steep the mixture for three to four weeks. Check the mixture after three weeks, to see if it is the desired consistency. If not, allow the benzion to soak in the alcohol for an additional week.
Strain the tincture through a cheesecloth into another jar. Twist and squeeze cheesecloth tightly, to extract as much of the liquid as possible. This will extract oils and most alkaloids from your herbs. Strain the liquid again through a coffee filter.
Use the funnel to add the liquid tincture to a dark coloured dropper bottle or spray bottle.
Tips and warnings
- Distilled water, vinegar or glycerol can be used to make nonalcoholic tinctures.
- Always check with your health care provider to be sure that none of your prescription medications interact with benzoin tincture.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for