How to get a divorce without a signature

Updated November 21, 2016

Getting a divorce without a signature often requires a set of specific circumstances. Every state has various laws on divorce - especially divorce without a signature from both parties. A no-fault divorce is the most expeditious route to completing a dissolution of marriage. They do not require the petitioner to present grounds for wishing to dissolve the marriage. Check with the circuit court in your county to inquire about state divorce laws.

Visit the office of the clerk for the circuit court in the county where you or your spouse reside.

Present at least two current forms of identification and request a petition for divorce. Inquire with the clerk about the laws of the state that allow a divorce without a spouse's signature. In most cases, abandonment and a medical declaration of insanity permits one to divorce without signature.

Complete the entire petition. Detail the reasons for divorce. Organise any and all hard evidence in your possession - returned correspondences, medical records, financial statements, a missing persons' newspaper notice, for example - to substantiate your claim.

Make at least two copies of the petition and all documentation. Present two copies to the clerk - one for court records and one for the defendant, if necessary and possible. Keep one set of copies for your personal records.

Petition for a no fault divorce - if your state offers this option. Complete the petition and repeat step 4 to expedite the dissolution process.

Things You'll Need

  • Petition for divorce
  • Personal identification
  • Medical records
  • Financial records
  • Correspondence records
  • Newspaper notices
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Jeffery Keilholtz began writing in 2002. He has worked professionally in the humanities and social sciences and is an expert in dramatic arts and professional politics. Keilholtz is published in publications such as Raw Story and Z-Magazine, and also pens political commentary under a pseudonym, Maryann Mann. He holds a dual Associate of Arts in psychology and sociology from Frederick Community College.