The cabinet of a refrigerator is typically made of aluminium, sheet metal or stainless steel. That's why it doesn't take much -- a delivery accident, a kick, an errant hit from a tool during a remodel -- for a refrigerator to get dented. While a dent doesn't normally affect the inner workings, it still takes away from the appliance's looks. You can easily remove the dent and make a refrigerator look brand new in just a few easy steps.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Dry ice
- Hair dryer
Wipe over the area to be repaired with a damp cloth to remove dirt and debris.
Plug in a hair dryer in a nearby outlet so you can reach the refrigerator. Select a "Warm" setting on the dryer. Run the air of the appliance over the dented area in a circular motion. Heat the metal for a few minutes until it's just warm. Test the temperature of the metal with your hand.
Put on a pair of gloves to protect your hands from frostbite before you handle dry ice. Firmly grab a piece of the ice. Rub it over the dented metal in a circular manner to cool it. Do this for a minute or two, then remove the ice. Wait for the dent to pop out.
Repeat the procedure if the dent doesn't pop out of the refrigerator after the first try. It may take a few tries to remove a stubborn dent.
Tips and warnings
- Take a chunk of dry ice off a block by using a hammer and a screwdriver.
- Don't touch dry ice to any part of your skin.
- Keep dry ice out of the reach of children and pets.
- Use dry ice in a well-ventilated area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for