Fondant is a time-tested staple of cake decorating. Rolled fondant, composed mostly of confectioner's sugar, a bit of shortening and water, coats the cake with a smooth elegant finish. It is often used to cover round, special-occasion layer cakes. Once applied to cake, fondant icing cannot be refrigerated. The condensation that results from refrigeration causes the icing to melt. A covered cake saver is an ideal storage container for a fondant-covered cake.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cake saver or cardboard box with cover
Place the cake plate on the base of the cake saver or inside the cardboard box.
Close the lid of the cake saver or box.
Store the box at room temperature. The cake will keep overnight or for up to four days.
Tips and warnings
- If you have used coloured fondant, store the cake away from direct sunlight or fluorescent lighting. Too much light can cause colours to fade or change.
- According to the cake-decorating company Wilton, if the cake contains filling that needs refrigeration, it should be iced with fondant.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for