Flies and mosquitoes can be unwanted guests at your picnic or barbecue. It is important to have a plan to keep unwanted insects away from your visitors. Flies can land on your dinner, making the food unsanitary. Mosquitoes can bite you and your visitors, making people uncomfortable especially if you are spending time outside at night. When planning your gathering, set up your yard to repel these insects.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Tinfoil or food netting
- Citronella candle
- Lavender oil
- Spray bottle
- Bug spray
Have tinfoil or food netting ready to place over the food you are serving. Keep these coverings on all items you wish to leave on the table so that flies do not land directly on your cuisine.
Purchase citronella candles and place them around your yard strategically. Light them at dusk.
Consider installing a screen around your patio if you often entertain outdoors.
Spray the surrounding area with a mix of water and lavender oil. Flies do not like lavender oil.
Offer bug spray to your guests at night so they can spray their legs and arms to keep mosquitoes away.
Tips and warnings
- Add more garlic to your diet. Female mosquitoes are less attracted to blood containing garlic. If you don't like eating garlic, you can take capsules that are odourless and tasteless.
- It is possible to be allergic to mosquito bites. Be aware if anyone at your party is allergic, especially a child. Drive straight to the emergency room if anyone's throat begins to close after being bitten.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for