Dogs lick their fur for a variety of reasons. It can be due to allergies, anxiety or even just plain boredom. The result is invariably the same--a pinkish stain develops at the licking site. Frustratingly, the stains sometimes seem resistant to cleaning. While the stains are hard to get rid of, a multifaceted approach can quickly reduce or even eliminate pink fur stains.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hydrogen peroxide, 3 per cent
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt
- Distilled water
Mix 4 tbsp of sea salt with 1 gallon of distilled water. Keep the mixture in the fridge.
Wash the affected area with the sea salt mixture three to four times a day. Pour a little bit of the mixture onto the pink part of the fur and gently massage it for 30 seconds. Make sure the pink area is completely saturated with the mixture. Rinse with lukewarm water afterward. Sea salt kills bacteria and will help keep that area clean and free from red yeast. Red yeast can cause further staining.
Pour hydrogen peroxide over the pink fur stain once daily. Massage the stain with the hydrogen peroxide for 30 seconds. Leave the hydrogen peroxide on for three to five minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. A dog's saliva contains porphyrin, a product of broken down red blood cells, which is why it stains the fur pink. Hydrogen peroxide has a mild bleaching effect and is safe for dogs.
Put apple cider vinegar in your dog's water twice a day. Use 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per 22.7kg. of your dog's weight. If you have a 11.3kg dog, for example, you'd use 1/2 tbsp in the morning and 1/2 tbsp at night. Make sure the bowl is completely filled with water before you add the vinegar. The vinegar can help change the composition of the saliva. This may reduce future staining.
Tips and warnings
- Never give a dog undiluted apple cider vinegar.
- Check with your vet if the pink area is swollen, tender or odorous. It may indicate an infection.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide around the eyes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Bichon Frise Club of America: Tearing and Tear Staining
- American Eskimo Dog Rescue and Sanctuary of Iowa: Tear Stains
- Dog Tears Stain Remover: How to Prevent Tear Stains on Your Dogs
- PetFoodDirect: All About Tear Stains on Pets
- Dr. Michael Watts, DVM; Clevenger's Corner Veterinary Care, Amissville, VA