The pH level of a substance determines whether it is acidic, alkali or neutral. It is important to know the pH level of a substance for many reasons. For example, if you are about to plant bulbs, you will need to know that the pH levels of the soil and the bulbs are suited to each other. Knowing the pH level of your fruit juice will help you choose the right juice that complements the pH level of your body. The pH scale ranges from zero to 14. Seven is neutral, anything below seven is acidic and anything more than seven is alkali.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Litmus paper strips
Wash your hands. This will ensure the litmus paper isn't compromised.
Pour 1 tablespoon fruit juice into a clean glass.
Take out a strip of litmus paper from the packet.
Dip the end of litmus paper you haven't touched into the fruit juice. Hold it for about 10 seconds.
Examine the litmus paper and compare the colour with the chart that came with it. There are numbers associated with different shades. If the juice is acidic, the paper will be between white and yellow. If it is alkali then it will be between blue and green. pH neutral juice will leave the paper green. Record the color's corresponding number on paper and repeat with different kinds of juices.
Tips and warnings
- Always ensure your hands and utensils are clean; otherwise the pH reading will be inaccurate.
- Litmus paper is available from your local pharmacy.
- Never drink anything that has come into contact with litmus paper because it contains poisonous chemicals.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for