Pet birds spend most of their time on their feet, standing and walking on perches. It is essential for the bird perch to be comfortable and sturdy, as well as clean. Perches not only provide a place for birds to stand, but also something they can chew on, since they are generally made of wood. Birds also use perches as a type of beak-grooming device. Although bird perches can be purchased in most pet stores, making a homemade bird perch from tree branches can be an economical alternative.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Tree branch
- Nontoxic cleaner
- Electric drill
- 2 hanger bolts
- 2 washers
- 2 wing nuts
Measure the cage from one side to the other, or where you plan to place the bird perch, to determine the length of the perch.
Obtain a tree branch that is slightly longer than the measurements gathered. The diameter of the tree branch used for the perch should be in proportion to the bird's feet. The bird's foot should fit two-thirds of the way around the perch.
Use a jigsaw to cut the tree branch to the desired measurement. Make straight cuts at each end of the branch so the ends are flat.
Clean the wood thoroughly with a nontoxic cleaner and a clean rag.
Use an electric drill to drive one hanger bolt into the centre of each end of the branch.
Place the tree branch in the bird cage at the desired location.
Screw a washer onto each of the hanger bolts and secure the perch in place against the sides of the bird cage with wing nuts.
Tips and warnings
- Make additional bird perches from branches with different diameters. Bird perches with a variation in diameters will allow the bird to be comfortable by not putting pressure on the same areas all the time.
- Clean the bird perch weekly with a nontoxic cleaner such as dishwashing soap and discard of the perch monthly to prevent infection on the bird's feet.
- Do not use wood from apricot, plum, peach or nectarine trees because the wood contains a potentially dangerous substance that can harm your pet birds.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for