Making great Chinese food at home can be a challenge. Most homes don't have a high-heat wok burner that is a must to attain traditional Chinese flavours. Wok burners are special burners designed for gas or propane that deliver more than 100,000 BTUs. This high heat allows the food to cook quickly and keeps the wok hot regardless of what ingredients are added. It is possible to build your own wok burner for use outdoors with a grill.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Burner stand
- Ring burner
- Wok ring
- Propane tank
- High-pressure propane regulator
Assemble the burner stand. Select a stand that is similar in design to those used on turkey fryers or shrimp boil burners. It must include three or four legs and not be prone to tipping.
Install the ring burner in the centre of the stand. The ring burner will generate an extreme amount of heat when working. Direct the burner head toward the top of the stand and situate it about 2 inches below the top surface.
Affix the wok ring to the top of the stand. The ring serves two purposes. It redirects some of the intense heat away from the hand of the cook during operation and directs most of the heat generated on the bottom of the wok. The wok ring provides a well-supported surface for the wok.
Attach the propane bottle to the burner through a propane regulator. Most models will require a high-pressure regulator.
Place the wok burner away from combustible materials. The extreme heat that the burner generates can ignite flammable materials during operation.
Tips and warnings
- High-pressure regulators require a larger than normal propane tank. Achieve a longer cooking time by increasing the type of tank used to 100 gallons or more.
- Propane leaks can cause accidents. Always test the lines for leaks before lighting.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for