Many breeds of dogs, including Labradors, are vulnerable to eye staining, a discolouration around the eye caused by the overproduction of tears. The fur under the eyes is constantly moist, which provides the perfect environment for red yeast to thrive. The presence of the yeast causes the discolouration and staining. Eye staining can be prevented using a number of techniques.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Apple cider vinegar
- Distilled water
- Saline solution
- Sterile gauze
Visit your Labrador's veterinarian to discuss the problem. While a Labrador may experience eye staining due to the shape of its face or genetics, the problem could also be caused by blocked tear ducts or an eye infection. These latter causes are more likely if your dog's eye staining has not occurred before.
Check your Labrador's food. Excessive tearing can be caused by nutritional problems, so switching to a premium food and discussing supplements with your veterinarian could solve the problem.
Add six drops of apple cider vinegar to every 177ml. of distilled water your dog drinks. Ensure the water is well mixed so your dog cannot taste the vinegar. It may be necessary to transition the dog to the vinegar water by adding one or two drops at first and working to the six drops. The smell of the vinegar water may be displeasing to the Labrador.
Apply a small amount of saline solution to some sterile gauze, and wipe around the Labrador's eyes. This will disinfect the area.
Clean the Labrador's face three times a day. This prevents any yeast from staining the fur.
Tips and warnings
- If your Labrador's fur is stained by the yeast, a groomer should be able to suggest a haircut to remove the stained fur without changing the look of the dog. However, avoid haircuts that remove hair from this area completely as the regrowth can irritate the eye.
- Never use antibiotics on your dog without your veterinarian's consent. They will not help in removing eye staining if an infection is not the cause; in fact, their use can cause complications.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for