Mold can appear in many different colours, one of which is blue-green. Some common moulds that may be blue-green include cladosporium, aspergillus and penicillium. However, the treatment for removal is the same regardless of the colour of the mould. Mold can occur in warm, damp areas such as bathrooms and basements. Certain types of mould can cause irritation and breathing problems in some people, so you will need to remove it as soon as possible and prevent it from returning.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Eye protection
- Rubber gloves
- Mask or respirator
- Spray bottle
- 2 buckets
- Non-ammonia soap or detergent
- Scrub brush
Put on eye protection and a mask or respirator that will filter out mould spores, such as an N-95 mask, if you have heavy mould infestation.
Dampen the mouldy surface using a spray bottle filled with water. This will minimise the number of airborne mould spores and limit the spread of mould and the chance of associated health problems.
Fill a bucket with a non-ammonia soap or detergent and warm water.
Wear rubber gloves and dip a scrub brush into the solution. Scrub away the mould.
Pour 1 gallon of water into another bucket. Add 1/2 cup of bleach.
Using a sponge, wipe the surface with the mixture. Allow the solution to remain for 15 minutes.
Rinse the sponge with clean water and wipe the surface to remove the solution. Wipe the surface with a towel to remove as much moisture as possible. Set up a fan to blow directly on the surface to help it dry rapidly.
Tips and warnings
- To avoid mould and mildew in the future, keep the relative humidity (RH) level of your home between 30 and 50 per cent. There are dehumidifiers and RH meters that can read your home's relative humidity. In addition, be sure to clean up excess moisture and condensation wherever it occurs, such as on shower walls and above hobs.
- It will be almost impossible to remove mould from porous materials, such as carpet padding, so you should consider throwing away these materials.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for