How to Remove Mold and Mildew From a Ceiling

Written by chris simon
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Remove Mold and Mildew From a Ceiling
Condensation can cause mould and mildew on ceilings. (Jupiterimages/ Images)

Mold and mildew develop in damp, warm conditions. Living spores in mould and mildew are hazardous to the human respiratory system and must be removed and cleaned immediately. Basements, cellars and bathrooms are particularly susceptible to mould and mildew growth. Steam from hot water in the bathroom will rise and form condensation on the ceiling, which may cause mould and mildew growth if the room is not ventilated. Mold and mildew will eventually rot surfaces if left untreated.

Skill level:

Other People Are Reading

Things you need

  • Waterproof sheets
  • Stepladder
  • Coveralls
  • Rubber gloves
  • Dust mask
  • Eye protectors
  • Bleach
  • 2 cleaning buckets
  • Spray bottle
  • Pack of absorbent cloths

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Clear as much furniture and items as possible from the room with the infected ceiling. Cover the floor or carpet and items you cannot move with waterproof sheets or tarpaulin. Bleach drips may cause colour change to fabrics. Open the windows to ventilate the room.

  2. 2

    Set a stepladder directly under the ceiling area you are going to clean. Ensure that the stepladder is standing level and that the rungs are not damaged.

  3. 3

    Put on coveralls, rubber gloves, dust mask and eye protectors. The protective equipment will prevent contact with the mould and bleach fumes.

  4. 4

    Mix 1 cup of household bleach and 1 gallon of warm water in a cleaning bucket. Pour some of the bleach mixture into a clean, empty spray bottle. Fill another bucket with fresh water.

  5. 5

    Climb the stepladder with the spray bottle and an absorbent cloth.

  6. 6

    Spray the mould and mildew with the bleach mixture.

  7. 7

    Wipe over the sprayed areas with the absorbent cloth.

  8. 8

    Climb down the stepladder and soak an absorbent cloth in the fresh water bucket. Wring out the excess water. Pick up a dry absorbent cloth.

  9. 9

    Climb up the stepladder with the cloths. Rinse away the bleach residue with the damp cloth. Wipe the cleaned areas with the dry cloth.

Tips and warnings

  • Keep the room regularly ventilated to prevent further mould and mildew growth.
  • Install a dehumidifier in cold weather or if the room has no windows.
  • Bleach is an irritant and skin contact should be avoided at all times. Wash with copious amounts of cold water if bleach is spilt on the skin.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.