The Alexandrine Parakeet is a green bird with red accents on the beak and wings. They are characterised by their colour and their very loud noises. The terms Alexandrine Parrot and Alexandrine Parakeet are used interchangeably. Breeding these birds is relatively easy, as they do not mate for life. You can expect two to four baby parakeets to be born from one breeding cycle.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Two nesting boxes
- Large cage
Determine the sex of the parakeets. When they reach sexual maturity, male Alexandrine parakeets develop a dark black ring on their necks. Female parakeets sometimes have a grey ring, but only the male will have the deep black ring of feathers.
Adjust the temperature in the room to 12.8 to 18.3 degrees Celsius for the duration of the incubation.
Place the male and female parakeet into a large cage with two nesting boxes. The cage should be approximately 3 to 5 square feet, depending on the size of your parakeets. The birds need to have multiple nesting boxes to choose from. Line the cage with wood bedding.
Wait for the female to lay her eggs. Typically, the female will lay two to four eggs during one breeding cycle. Inside the nesting box, both the male and female bird will sit on the eggs until they hatch. The eggs will hatch after about 28 days. Near the end of this time, adjust the humidity in the room to 80 per cent.
Leave both parakeets in the cage for at least six weeks, the full period of time for the baby birds to develop enough to leave the nest.
Socialise the baby parakeets if you want them to be tame. The parents will usually allow you to handle them.
Tips and warnings
- Once the young parakeets are independent, you can remove them from the cage. However, if you wish to leave them in the same cage, they should be able to coexist peacefully in most cases.
- Alexandrine parakeets can become aggressive when they feel threatened.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for