Rolled roofing is typically installed on flat roofs and is much easier to install than the more common forms of roofing, such as shingles and metal. Installing rolled roofing with felt is as easy as rolling it on and screwing it in. This type of roofing can be made of either asphalt or other composite materials. The surface of the roofing can be either smooth or mineral and can be installed by most any homeowner with just a few tools.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Roofing nails
- Roof cement
- Tape measure
Measure the base of the house to figure how much roofing and felt will be needed for installation. Multiply the width by the height in feet and record the measurement.
Roll the felt paper out beginning in either bottom corner of the roof. Spread it out in sections and nail it to the sheathing with roofing nails. Insert a nail every 6 inches around the outside of the felt and spread them out every two feet in the middle.
Continue around the roof spreading the felt around the entire area until the whole roof has been covered. Inspect the area to make sure there are no nails sticking up from the felt.
Spread roofing cement over the felt with a trowel. Cover the felt section by section and begin rolling the rolled roofing on top. Push down firmly on the roofing, so it can adhere to the cement, and continue in the same manner until the roof has been completely covered with the rolled roofing.
Walk over the entire roof to make sure no pieces are sticking up, and everything has stuck together properly.
Tips and warnings
- Always lay out the rolled roofing 24 hours prior to installation. This will allow it time to heat up due to sun exposure and also lay flat more easily when it is installed.
- Do not install this type of roofing when it is below freezing or the roofing will be stiff and brittle.
- Be careful when using a ladder on a roof or anything that is high in the air.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for