Whether you're making your own stencil or buying one from a craft store or online vendor, using a stencil to paint a clock face is the easiest way to create a unified and symmetrical face design in one simple step. Stencils also make it easier and goof-proof for young or beginning hobbyists. With stencils, you can create a personalised look or use a variety of shapes and designs for the numbers to match an existing theme within the room.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clock mechanism
- Masking tape
- Acrylic paint
- Brush or sponge
- Paper towel
- Poly-acrylic varnish
Assemble the clock mechanism. Place both the hour and minute hands on the 12 o'clock location. Mark the centre of the desired location.
Move the minute hand clockwise around the face until the hour hand moves to the next location. Mark this as the 1 o'clock spot. Continue doing this until you have marks for all the numbers.
Remove the clock mechanism from the clock and set it aside.
Position the stencil onto the clock face, lining the numbers up with the marks made earlier. Tape the stencil in place to prevent it from slipping.
Shake the paint to mix the colour and then pour a small bit out onto a plate.
Dip the brush or sponge into the paint. Dab off the excess paint onto either a paper towel or the plate.
Paint over the stencil in thin layers. Do not allow the paint to run or clump up, as this will smear when you remove the stencil.
Remove the paint from the stencil and carefully lift the stencil from the clock. Let the paint dry completely. Seal the clock face with poly-acrylic varnish to protect the paint.
Tips and warnings
- Finish the clock surface before applying the stencil. You may wish to stain or paint the face before adding the numbers.
- You can make stencils from almost any style of numbers or shapes. Simply place a clear plastic film or vellum over the design and trace the design onto the plastic with a fine-tipped permanent marker. Cut out the design with a craft knife.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for