Biodiesel fuel is increasingly attractive as an eco-friendly alternative to petroleum products. Most biodiesel is sold in a blend with regular diesel, identified with the letter "B" followed by the percentage of biodiesel in the mix. For example, B5 has five per cent biodiesel, B20 has 20 per cent, and so forth. Biodiesel can be used in any Citroen C5 diesel engine, but it is a solvent. For this reason, high-percentage blends might loosen sludge in the fuel system, flushing it through the hoses and clogging the fuel filter initially.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 fuel filters or filter elements
- Filter wrench
Confirm that your Citroen C5 is a diesel by checking the owner's manual or the inside of the fuel door cover. You cannot use biodiesel in a gasoline engine.
Run your car on a 10 to 20 per cent biodiesel blend for a couple of weeks and replace the fuel filter. The low-percentage blend will flush dirt from the fuel system more gradually than B100 (100 per cent biodiesel) would.
Run your car on B100, or whatever percentage blend you want to use. Carry a spare fuel filter or filter element and a filter wrench in your car, just in case your fuel filter clogs again while you're on the road. It probably won't; you usually have plenty of warning when your filter starts to clog, causing hesitation and a lack of power when you press the accelerator.
Replace the fuel filter after a couple of months or a few thousand miles. At this point, it should be fine to run whatever biodiesel blend you want, and change the filter as normal according to the schedule in your owner's manual.
Tips and warnings
- Use the best quality, cleanest biodiesel available. Some homemade biodiesel contains high levels of contaminants and might damage your car.
- Older diesel vehicles might need to have the rubber fuel lines replaced with synthetic lines before using biodiesel, but the Citroen C5 already has synthetic lines and may be used as is.
- Using biodiesel blends higher than B30 might void your Citroen warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for