Acrylic is a type of durable plastic used in a variety of projects, such as containers and holders. You can find acrylic sheets in an assortment of colours and thicknesses. Because it can look like glass, acrylic is often used to replace glass when a shatterproof material is necessary. If you will be using two sheets of acrylic for hardiness, you will need to connect them together, which requires specific guidelines and materials but can be done easily at home.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Masking tape
- Acrylic cement
- Needle-nose application bottle
Sand the edges of the acrylic sheets that will be adhered together with sandpaper. This will create a smooth surface and allow for a more perfect bond.
Connect the sheets with masking tape to hold them together in the way you want them to bond. Make sure to use the minimum amount of tape necessary to allow room for the adhesive application.
Apply acrylic cement with a needle-nose application bottle to the seam of the two sheets. It will seep between the pieces to attach them together. Acrylic cement is a solvent that dissolves the acrylic so the two sheets become one. You can buy it at your local hardware or home improvement store.
Let the bond settle for one or two days, following the guidelines on the cement package.
Tips and warnings
- If you accidentally spill the acrylic cement, leave it to evaporate.
- As the acrylic cement is a chemical solvent, remember to wear rubber gloves and goggles.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for