When designing a new home or updating an existing home, many technologically savvy property owners can see the ingenuity in routing audio and/or video cables through their walls and out through wall plates. Not only does this look far superior to a jumble of cables, it also provides the functionality and convenience of being able to connect long-range devices without a having a cable strung through walkways. If you have a VGA cable routed through your wall, install a wall plate to make use of it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Preinstalled VGA wiring in the wall where you intend to install the wall plate
- VGA wall plate kit (with mounting bracket if you have a drywall or plaster wall; with surface-mount box if you have a brick, stone or concrete wall)
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
Install the mounting bracket from the wall plate kit to the desired area of the wall (only if your wall is drywall or plaster). Measure the mounting bracket, cut a proper-sized hole in the wall with the utility knife, slip it into the hole and then secure it in the wall using the supplied clamps.
Install the surface-mount box from the wall plate kit to the desired area of the wall. (Note that a surface-mount box is adhered to the wall's surface rather than being set within it.) Use the supplied adhesive to glue it to the proper spot on the wall. Once you've set it in the proper location, consult your kit's documentation to find out how long you need to wait before the glue dries completely.
Connect your wall-routed VGA cable to your wall plate's VGA connection using the supplied screws from your wall plate kit.
Secure the wall plate to the wall (or mounting bracket/surface mount box if applicable) using the supplied screws. Your VGA connection is now ready for use through your newly installed wall plate.
Tips and warnings
- Skip Step 1 and follow Step 2 if your wall is a hard surface such as brick, concrete or stone. Skip Steps 1 and 2 if your wall is wood.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for