How to File for Supervised Visitation Rights for a Father

Written by kristine brite | 13/05/2017
How to File for Supervised Visitation Rights for a Father
The decision to grant supervised visitation is up to a judge. (gavel image by Cora Reed from

Supervised visitation gives a parent time with his child under the eye of a third party. Filing for supervised visitation for the father can be initiated by the mother if she petitions the court. This type of filing usually limits visitation rights and requests moving from unsupervised to supervised visitations. The father can file for supervised visitation as well and petition the court for time with his child. This is usually a request for time when the father currently has no visitation rights. The exact procedure for filing for visitation varies by state.

Hire an attorney. An attorney isn't required, but is helpful. It's also easier to hire the attorney to be part of the process from the start if an attorney is going to be used.

Gather documentation of why supervised custody is being sought. The courts usually grant supervised custody because of a history of abuse to the child or substance abuse by the parent. For fathers seeking supervised custody, gather evidence that any past issues such as substance abuse are resolved or improved.

File the paperwork to petition the court to recommend supervised visits. An attorney will file and fill out the paperwork if hired. Pay the filing fee if necessary.

Attend court and answer any questions by the judge and closely follow any orders he issues. Prepare to make a case with the documents prepared outlining the reasons for supervised visitation. In some locations, the third party supervisor can be a friend or family member, so the father should ask someone reputable to agree to supervise.

Follow all rules of the supervised visitation if it's granted. Not doing so can impact future visitation, and for the mother, can impact future custody decisions. Supervised visitation is usually temporary with either full visitation or no visitation rights given at a later time.

Things you need

  • Attorney
  • Filing fees

Show MoreHide

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.