You don't need to buy a fancy fence post driver. Build one at home that works better. The manufactured drivers have two large handles at the top. These are dangerous. The handles can injure you when you're using them. Build one yourself out of scrap pipe and a welder. It only takes about 30 minutes. It's inexpensive and should last a long time.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Steel pipe, threaded on one end, 3-inch diameter, 42 inches long
- Steel cap, 3-inch diameter, threaded
- Metal file
Screw the cap onto the end of the pipe.
Weld around the base of the cap. Go around several times until the bead is built up. Smooth it until there is no lip.
Chip off any slag from the weld with the hammer. Slag is hollow crunchy residue left when molten metal cools.
File off any rough or sharp edges using a hand file.
Tips and warnings
- Buy the pipe and cap at any plumbing or home improvement store Ask for salvage. They will even cut the pipe for you if needed. You can weld a weight on top of the pipe if you want, but the weight of the pipe is enough. Too much weight at the top of the post driver is counterproductive.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for