When you purchase a neon light, the neon tubes are usually encased in a plastic frame and the light is already wired to a power supply. However, if you have a custom neon sign where you have free-form neon tubes, you might need to wire your own interior neon lights. Ensure that you are aware of the local wiring requirements for your jurisdiction's building code before completing this project, so that you are in compliance.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Flat head screwdriver
- Neon lights
- power supply (wire box with plug)
- Switch (optional)
- Standard plug cord
Identify the positive and negative wire connected to the end of each neon tube. The positive is usually red or yellow and the negative, or ground is black.
Connect the positive wires to the switch if using one. Then connect the switch to the positive terminal on the output end of the power source or transformer. If you are not using a switch, connect the positive wires directly to the positive terminal on the output end of the power source. Connect the negative or black wires to the ground on the power source.
At the input end of the power source or transformer, locate the positive, negative and ground wires. Connect them to the cord end of the standard plug by matching positive to positive, negative to negative and the ground to ground. Wrap electrical connections separately and securely.
Secure all wire connections using the flat head screwdriver to tighten the wire connections. Wrap any twisted wires in electrical tape. Ensure that all the electrical parts are grounded.
Plug in the sign. Be sure the switch is in the "On" position if you used one.
Tips and warnings
- There is always a risk of shock when working with electricity. Be sure to take precautions and make sure you are properly grounded. Ensure that you are connecting the wires together correctly. Do not reverse the polarity by connecting negative to positive, this could damage your transformer or power source.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for