Pill pockets are used to disguise pills or medication for animals. Pet owners may have a hard time getting their pets to take medication and pill pockets will hide the medication in food so that it can be eaten without trouble. Pill pockets are made commercially as Greenies Pill Pockets for dogs and cats. They can be purchased online, at pet stores or some grocery stores. Name-brand pill pockets can be expensive to purchase so some pet owners may choose to make their own pill pockets.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Hot dogs, Vienna sausages or pets favourite meat
Cut off a piece of the hot dog approximately 2-3 inches in length depending on the size of your dog (for small dogs you may want to try Vienna sausages because they are not as big around).
Stick the sharp end of a chopstick into the middle of the hot dog and make a hole large enough to encase the pill so that it cannot be seen.
Slide the pill into the hole in the middle of the hot dog and make sure that it fits securely.
Call your dog and feed him the hot dog pill pocket in one bite so that he easily gulps down the hot dog treat and the pill at the same time.
Tips and warnings
- Cut your hot dog, Vienna sausage or piece of desired meat small enough that the animal can eat it all in one bite so that the pill does not accidentally fall out.
- For cats you may want to make a tuna fish bite or hide the medication in a square of cheese if the cat likes it.
- Some other food suggestions for hiding pills are string cheese, peanut butter, cream cheese or a hard-boiled egg.
- It is best to use food with a strong smell or aroma so that it covers the smell of the medication.
- Your best bet is to use one of your pets favourite food to disguise the pill and get it eaten in a small portion so that you make sure that they get the full dose.
- Make sure to carefully measure the medication and only give the suggested dosage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for