The average kitchen has enough trouble staying uncluttered without paper towel rolls lying around with no place to go. So why not kill two birds with one stone? Take some of your unneeded clutter and transform it into a working, unique paper towel roll! Let your creative juices flow to give your rolls a home and put off cleaning at the same time. Who could ask for a better project?
Things you need
Dowel, 1 inch diameter, 12 inches long
Contact cement or epoxy
Wooden board, 12 inches long
Glue the dowel to the bottom side of the plate with contact cement or epoxy. Read the labels to determine which type of glue would be best for the plate you have chosen. For example, if it is a ceramic plate with an unglazed bottom, choose a glue that bonds ceramic to wood. If the bottom of the plate is glazed or if the plate is glass, look for glue that bonds glass to wood.
Let the glue dry completely according to the manufacturer directions.
Slide a paper towel roll over the dowel to use.
Wrap the wire through the hole in one of the CD's (or any other item with a hole) and around the edge once or twice so the wire grips the CD. Leave both ends of the wire extending off of the CD about 6 inches.
Create a loop in each of the wire ends coming off the CD.
Attach the wire loops to one end of the board by screwing through both loops with one screw.
Repeat with the other CD, attaching it to the other end of the board. Both CD's should hang vertically, so the holes face each other, about 4 inches down from the board.
Attach the board to the underside of a cabinet with screws.
Cut a length of wire 14 inches long.
Bend one end of the wire 90 degrees, 1 inch from the end.
String the wire through the first CD and then through a paper towel roll.
String the wire through the second CD, and bend the extra wire 90 degrees to lock it in place.
- Paint the wooden sections of you roll holder with acrylic paint for a little extra flair. Either of these roll holders can be made completely with wood -- just replace the plate or CD's with squares of wood and replace the wire with a dowel.
Tips and Warnings
- Paint the wooden sections of you roll holder with acrylic paint for a little extra flair.
- Either of these roll holders can be made completely with wood -- just replace the plate or CD's with squares of wood and replace the wire with a dowel.
Things you need
- Dowel, 1 inch diameter, 12 inches long
- Contact cement or epoxy
- 2 CDs
- Wire cutters
- Wooden board, 12 inches long