The prostate gland is part of the male reproductive system. Locating the prostate to check for enlargement or for massage requires going through the rectum and might require the help of another person. It is beneath and toward the front of the bladder and has the urethra running through it. This procedure can be uncomfortable, so if you are using a helper, make sure it is a trusted friend or partner, especially one who is familiar with what a normal prostate size and texture is.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sterile gloves
- Water-soluble lubricant
Begin the self-exam by emptying your bowels and bladder and then having a bath or shower to help clean and relax yourself, making this internal exam less uncomfortable.
Dry off, and then you or your helper should put on gloves, latex or alternative, and apply a water-soluble lubricant to the fingers that will be used. Remove all jewellery, and make sure nails are short with no rough edges to prevent tearing or irritating the rectal lining.
Bend over, holding onto a chair or across a tall bed, and your partner will insert a lubricated finger or two very gently into the rectum. Make sure the sphincter muscles are relaxed to prevent damage and reduce discomfort.
Apply pressure using the fingers, and feel the front of the rectum, toward the bladder. A normal prostate is a bulb-shaped tissue approximately the size of a walnut. Remove fingers slowly and gently.
Tips and warnings
- If you are having your prostate located for massage, be sure your partner is gentle and will not damage this gland.
- If there are any concerns about the size and shape of your prostate, schedule an exam with your physician immediately. Contact your doctor is there is any tearing or damage done from this exam.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for