Remote Desktop software is included with the Windows operating system. Once configured, Remote Desktop enables a remote user to access the desktop of a computer as if he were sitting in front of the computer monitor. Accessing serial ports through Remote Desktop is similar to accessing serial ports when sitting in front of the computer, but with a few additional steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Remote Microsoft Windows 7 computer with Remote Desktop enabled
- IP address of the Remote Microsoft Windows 7 computer
- Microsoft Windows 7 client computer with Remote Desktop client software and terminal console software installed and configured
- Credentials of an account that has Remote Desktop permissions for the Remote Microsoft Windows 7 computer
Click the "Start" button on the Windows 7 client computer, then click "Programs" and "Accessories."
Click "Remote Desktop Connection." The Remote Desktop Connection window will appear.
Type the IP address of the Windows 7 Remote Desktop computer that is configured to receive Remote Desktop connections in the "Computer" field, then click "Connect."
Type the user name for an account that has Remote Desktop access permissions in the User Name field of the window that appears. Then type the password for the account in the password field. Press "OK" to access the remote PC desktop.
Click the "Start" button in the Remote Desktop Connection window to open the Start menu on the remote computer, then click the "Search" box.
Type the name of the terminal console program in the box, such as "Tera Term," "HyperTerminal" or "PUTTY," then press "Enter" to start the terminal program.
Select a serial or Com port connection in the terminal program window, then configure the connection parameters according to the specifications of the device to which the terminal program will connect (the usual parameters are 9600 bps, 8 bits, parity none and 1 stop bit). Press the "Enter" key or click "OK" to connect to a device using a serial port through Remote Desktop.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for