Instead of discarding your old tires, you can find a new use for them. Whether you want to repurpose an old tire as a planter, or you want to incorporate it into a children's play scape as a climbing surface or tire swing, you can add colour and interest to a black, rubber tire with a couple coats of paint. With this project, it's imperative to use the right type of paint for success.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Garden hose with spray attachment
- 3 to 4 spray cans of acrylic latex paint
Spray the tire with water from a garden hose with a spray attachment to clean away dirt and debris. Place the tire on a clean surface and allow it to dry for 24 hours before proceeding.
Place the tire on a tarp and spray paint the top and the sides of the tire with acrylic latex spray paint. Allow the spray paint to dry to the touch.
Turn the dry tire over on the tarp and spray paint the unpainted area. Spray a second coat on the sides. Allow to dry to the touch.
Turn the tire back over and spray a second coat of paint on the top side of the tire. Allow to dry. Turn the tire back over and spray a second coat on that side. Allow to dry thoroughly before using.
Tips and warnings
- You can choose to paint the inside of the tires with the spray paint, but drying time may take longer and you will need more paint than if you just spray the outside.
- Don't attempt to spray paint the tire in windy conditions.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for