Singer makes sewing machines that are low in features and are excellent starter machines for kids because they only offer a simple straight-stitching process. When experiencing issues with a kids Singer sewing machine, troubleshooting may correct common issues such as skipped stitches, broken needles and noisy machines. All of these issues require only a light amount of maintenance and little time to correct.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sewing machine oil
- Sewing machine needle set
When a needle is the incorrect size for the type of material being sewn, the needle may break or the machine may skip stitches. Review the sewing machine manual for instructions regarding needle sizes and material types to determine the appropriate needle size required for the item being sewn.
Replace the needle with an appropriately sized needle and resume sewing by turning the hand wheel on the sewing machine to raise the needle to its highest point.
Turn the needle clamp screw located directly beside the needle to release the needle from the machine. You may need to lightly pull the needle from the machine if it does not fall out on its own after releasing the clamp screw.
Insert the new needle into the machine and tighten the clamp screw to hold the needle in place. Lower the needle by turning the hand wheel to resume sewing.
Skipping Stitches or Broken Needle
Turn the hand wheel on the sewing machine to raise the needle to its highest point.
Place one drop of high-quality sewing machine oil onto the hook of the sewing machine. The hook is located just above the bobbin that holds the thread spool.
Turn the hand wheel on the sewing machine to lower the needle and resume sewing.
Tips and warnings
- Review the manufacturer's instruction manual to ensure you are using the correct type of sewing machine oil.
- See the referenced website or review the manufacturer's instructions to determine the size and type of needle required for various types of fabric being sewn.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for