Floods, a busted pipe or a leaky roof can make your ceilings and walls wet. If the walls and ceilings are not dried as soon as possible, fungi--such as mould and mildew--may begin to grow and spread. Mold eats away at the surface it is growing on and cause difficult-to-remove stains. Mold will also fill the area with an unpleasant, musty aroma. When you find mould growing on your walls and ceilings, it is best to remove it as soon as possible.
Remove all items from the walls, including decorations and pictures. Remove curtains and draperies as well.
Lay down a tarp or dropcloth to protect the floor. Remove surface dust, dirt and cobwebs from the ceiling and walls with a dust mop.
Fill a bucket with 2 cups of lukewarm water. Add 1/4 cup of trisodium phosphate, a strong cleaning product.
Fill a second bucket with cool water. Place both buckets within reaching distances of your work area.
Submerge a clean sponge into the bucket filled with the water-TSP mixture. Wring the excess liquid from the sponge. The sponge should be damp, not dripping-wet.
Scrub the ceilings with the sponge. Whenever the sponge becomes dingy, rinse it in the water and submerge it back into the water-TSP mixture.
Scrub the ceiling until all mould is removed. Move onto the walls and clean in the same manner.
Add undiluted bleach into a container. Dampen a white cloth in the bleach. Wipe the ceilings and walls with the cloth. Allow the walls and ceilings to air-dry.
Rinse the walls and ceilings with a clean, damp white cloth. Allow the area to dry completely. Use fans to speed up the drying process.
Wear rubber gloves when working with chemicals to prevent skin irritation. Apply a mildew-resistant topcoat to the walls and ceilings to prevent mould growth.
Tips and warnings
- Wear rubber gloves when working with chemicals to prevent skin irritation.
- Apply a mildew-resistant topcoat to the walls and ceilings to prevent mould growth.
Things you need
- Tarp or dropcloth
- Dust broom
- 2 buckets
- Tri-sodium phosphate
- White cloth