Chutney is the name for a variety of traditional East Indian saucelike foods. It is similar to relish and served as a spread, dip or condiment. Chutney can be herb-based, which is served fresh with minimal cooking, or vegetable- and fruit-based, which is often cooked and preserved. Prepared with sugar, vinegar and spices, fruit and vegetable chutneys are a sweet and spicy blend. Chutney is becoming increasingly popular in the United States because of its exotic taste and versatility, according to the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 4 cups raspberries
- 4 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples
- Large nonaluminum pot
- Wooden spoon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T chopped fresh ginger
- 1 T dry mustard
- 1 T salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Covered dish or glass canning jars
Combine the raspberries and apples in a large pot and mix. Add the garlic, ginger, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper, and continue mixing until well blended.
Add the vinegar, stir well and simmer on medium high heat for about five minutes or until the berries are soft.
Reduce the heat, add the brown sugar and continue cooking for 45 to 50 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Stir occasionally.
Put the chutney in a covered dish and chill before serving, or pour the mixture into sterilised half-pint canning jars and follow canning instructions to seal and process, suggests the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
Tips and warnings
- Chutney can be served as a spread or dip, or as a complement to any fish or chicken dish.
- Raspberry chutney pairs well with Brie cheese on crackers or pastry.
- If you plan to can your chutney, be sure to follow all instructions and safety guidelines for canning.
- Use a stainless steel pot to prevent pitting that can occur with aluminium or cast iron pans.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for