Ceramic tile is a wonderfully versatile material. Not only does it make beautiful flooring and countertop surfaces, it can be crafted as a work of art in its own right. If the piece has a hanging wire or other hanging device, then hanging a ceramic tile wall piece is no different from hanging a picture. However, many ceramic tile artworks do not include any built-in hanging devices, and so it may be necessary to install one.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Drill with variable-speed trigger
- Carbide or diamond-tipped masonry bit
- Cutting oil (available at plumbing supply houses)
- Duct tape
- Hanging wire
- Wire cutters
Lay the ceramic tile wall piece flat on a work surface. Place several pieces of cardboard underneath the tile. Clamp the tile to the work surface.
Determine two locations near the top corners of the piece for holes. They must be at least one inch from the edge of the tile and at least three inches from the top of the tile.
Cover the drilling locations with duct tape and mark the drilling points.
Install a carbide-tipped masonry bit into a variable-speed drill for drilling regular ceramic tile. For drilling porcelain, use a diamond-tipped drill bit.
Drill slowly into the tile. Apply very light pressure while drilling to avoid cracking the tile or its glazed surface.
Thread a hanging wire into the drilled holes. Twist the wire securely around itself behind the tile.
Hang the ceramic wall piece in the desired location from the hanging wire.
Tips and warnings
- The duct tape will help prevent the drill bit from slipping, and will protect the tile from scratches in case of a slip.
- For best results, use a drill that can spin as slowly as 100 revolutions per minute. Keep the drill bit cool while drilling by periodically dipping the bit into cooling oil. Wipe away the oil before you resume drilling.
- Check that the hanging wire is tight enough to keep the hanging hook hidden from view when the tile is hung on the wall.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for